Sunday 4 October 2009

7

The big ol' party frock

Next weekend Vonnie is having wee Greer christened and I'm gutted we can't make it through. But I'll be there in spirit, because I made big sister Erica this party frock:


Erica is partial to a very full skirt so this beauty is a massive 60 inches in circumference at the hem line.


And I made a fat and long polkadot sash for a waspish 50's waistline. 'Tis very important to toddlers these days.


As it's a bubble skirt I thought I'd go the whole hog and make it just plain reversible.


I'm not ashamed to say I pulled out fistfuls of hair figuring out how to make it reversible. But I got there in the end and can now go to sleep smug and blissful.


As the sash is tacked down on the bird side I came up with a sneaky little trick to get the sash through to the dotty side... wee slits at the side seam!

7 comments:

  1. What an exquisite creation ... we must see pics of her modeling this. She will be thrilled, I am sure.

    Have a lovely week. TTFN~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a gorgeous dress and i'm sure Erica will look fantastic in it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

    That's the noise I just made in a pitch that I suspect only mice and dogs could hear. I LOVE IT!!! Bob says it's vewwwy niiiiice.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous!!! This would make a gorgeous bridesmaid/flower girl dress. My best friend is getting married.... wish she had some teeny tiny bridesmaids to have these made for! Alas, we're all about 22. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so beautiful. I'm not sure I remember my toddlers actually *having* waists, but you'd know best oh queen-of-sewing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius and beautiful. Love that bird print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. simply stunning! Hope Erica's delighted with it.

    ReplyDelete